[CentOS-devel] docker and docker-latest packages on CentOS Virt SIG

[CentOS-devel] docker and docker-latest packages on CentOS Virt SIG

Lokesh Mandvekar
**CentOS Virt SIG**

What:
- 'docker' (v1.9) http://cbs.centos.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=10878
- 'docker-latest' (v1.10) http://cbs.centos.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=10881
- both can be installed simultaneously and don't step on each other's toes,
  but only one can run at a time.
- /usr/bin/docker is a script which execs /usr/bin/docker-current (v1.9) or
  /usr/bin/docker-latest (v1.10) based on what $DOCKERBINARY is set to.

Why:
- some people want v1.9 (that includes kube and openshift iiuc)
- others want later versions
- people also want to switch between versions without having to
  install/uninstall/reinstall

Comments?
--
Lokesh
Freenode: lsm5

Re: [CentOS-devel] [atomic-devel] docker and docker-latest packages on CentOS Virt SIG

Jason Brooks
On Mon, May 9, 2016 at 7:54 AM, Lokesh Mandvekar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> **CentOS Virt SIG**
>
> What:
> - 'docker' (v1.9) http://cbs.centos.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=10878
> - 'docker-latest' (v1.10) http://cbs.centos.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=10881
> - both can be installed simultaneously and don't step on each other's toes,
>   but only one can run at a time.
> - /usr/bin/docker is a script which execs /usr/bin/docker-current (v1.9) or
>   /usr/bin/docker-latest (v1.10) based on what $DOCKERBINARY is set to.
>
> Why:
> - some people want v1.9 (that includes kube and openshift iiuc)
> - others want later versions
> - people also want to switch between versions without having to
>   install/uninstall/reinstall

I built an atomic image with docker and docker-latest, uncommented the
line `DOCKERBINARY=/usr/bin/docker-latest` in `/etc/sysconfig/docker`,
and restarted the docker service, and then `sudo docker info`
returned:

Error response from daemon: client is newer than server (client API
version: 1.22, server API version: 1.21)

Then it occurred to me to stop the docker service and start the
docker-latest service, and that seemed to work fine. We definitely
need docs around this.

One thing that occurs to me is that 1.10 isn't the latest docker...

Jason

> Comments?
> --
> Lokesh
> Freenode: lsm5
> GPG: 0xC7C3A0DD

Re: [CentOS-devel] [atomic-devel] docker and docker-latest packages on CentOS Virt SIG

Daniel J Walsh

On 05/09/2016 08:18 PM, Jason Brooks wrote:

> On Mon, May 9, 2016 at 7:54 AM, Lokesh Mandvekar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> **CentOS Virt SIG**
>>
>> What:
>> - 'docker' (v1.9) http://cbs.centos.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=10878
>> - 'docker-latest' (v1.10) http://cbs.centos.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=10881
>> - both can be installed simultaneously and don't step on each other's toes,
>>    but only one can run at a time.
>> - /usr/bin/docker is a script which execs /usr/bin/docker-current (v1.9) or
>>    /usr/bin/docker-latest (v1.10) based on what $DOCKERBINARY is set to.
>>
>> Why:
>> - some people want v1.9 (that includes kube and openshift iiuc)
>> - others want later versions
>> - people also want to switch between versions without having to
>>    install/uninstall/reinstall
> I built an atomic image with docker and docker-latest, uncommented the
> line `DOCKERBINARY=/usr/bin/docker-latest` in `/etc/sysconfig/docker`,
> and restarted the docker service, and then `sudo docker info`
> returned:
>
> Error response from daemon: client is newer than server (client API
> version: 1.22, server API version: 1.21)
>
> Then it occurred to me to stop the docker service and start the
> docker-latest service, and that seemed to work fine. We definitely
> need docs around this.
>
> One thing that occurs to me is that 1.10 isn't the latest docker...
>
> Jason
It is the latest supported docker.  :^)  I am not sure if we will ever
ship docker-1.11.  Has a lot of warts.
Most of its fixes are going into docker-1.12.

I agree docker and docker-latest is not the best solution, and sadly we
are learning on the fly.

On 05/09/2016 07:38 PM, Erik Swanson (eriswans) wrote:

>> On May 9, 2016, at 07:54, Lokesh Mandvekar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> - /usr/bin/docker is a script which execs /usr/bin/docker-current (v1.9) or
>>   /usr/bin/docker-latest (v1.10) based on what $DOCKERBINARY is set to.
> Too late (or wrong forum?) perhaps, but this split is very distressing to me as an end-user because it breaks the use case of bind-mounting the docker client binary and socket into a privileged container, a pattern which otherwise would work on basically every Docker-host OS out there regardless of Docker version.
>
> —
> Erik Swanson

Yes we had not thought about this.  I guess you would need to volume
mount docker and docker-current or docker-latest into the container.

Re: [CentOS-devel] docker and docker-latest packages on CentOS Virt SIG

Lukáš Nykrýn
Lokesh Mandvekar píše v Po 09. 05. 2016 v 09:54 -0500:

> **CentOS Virt SIG**
>
> What:
> - 'docker' (v1.9) http://cbs.centos.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=10878
> - 'docker-latest' (v1.10)
> http://cbs.centos.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=10881
> - both can be installed simultaneously and don't step on each other's
> toes,
>   but only one can run at a time.
> - /usr/bin/docker is a script which execs /usr/bin/docker-current
> (v1.9) or
>   /usr/bin/docker-latest (v1.10) based on what $DOCKERBINARY is set
> to.
>
> Why:
> - some people want v1.9 (that includes kube and openshift iiuc)
> - others want later versions
> - people also want to switch between versions without having to
>   install/uninstall/reinstall
>
> Comments?

Why don't you use alternatives
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Alternatives ? For example
 google-chrome-beta and google-chrome-stable uses that approach.

Lukas

On 05/10/2016 09:04 AM, Lukáš Nykrýn wrote:

> Lokesh Mandvekar píše v Po 09. 05. 2016 v 09:54 -0500:
>> **CentOS Virt SIG**
>>
>> What:
>> - 'docker' (v1.9) http://cbs.centos.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=10878
>> - 'docker-latest' (v1.10)
>> http://cbs.centos.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=10881
>> - both can be installed simultaneously and don't step on each other's
>> toes,
>>    but only one can run at a time.
>> - /usr/bin/docker is a script which execs /usr/bin/docker-current
>> (v1.9) or
>>    /usr/bin/docker-latest (v1.10) based on what $DOCKERBINARY is set
>> to.
>>
>> Why:
>> - some people want v1.9 (that includes kube and openshift iiuc)
>> - others want later versions
>> - people also want to switch between versions without having to
>>    install/uninstall/reinstall
>>
>> Comments?
> Why don't you use alternatives
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Alternatives ? For example
>   google-chrome-beta and google-chrome-stable uses that approach.
>
> Lukas
We actually want to keep these totally separate.  The only thing that is
shared between them is the socket
the listen on since they provide the same API.   At the last second we
were asked to add the switch to allow
/usr/bin/docker to work with both.  (I am now thinking this might have
been a mistake.)

On 05/10/2016 12:06 PM, Erik Swanson (eriswans) wrote:

>>> Too late (or wrong forum?) perhaps, but this split is very distressing to me as an end-user because it breaks the use case of bind-mounting the docker client binary and socket into a privileged container, a pattern which otherwise would work on basically every Docker-host OS out there regardless of Docker version.
>>>
>>> —
>>> Erik Swanson
>>>

>> Yes we had not thought about this.  I guess you would need to volume mount docker and docker-current or docker-latest into the container.
> (And whatever envionrment/configuration the /usr/bin/docker stub uses to decide which to execute, as well.)
>
> Currently, I can tell people to bind-mount /usr/bin/docker and the socket, and it’ll work *everywhere*. With this change, I’ll have to document a ridiculous matrix of how to launch a docker-using privileged container, varying on the host OS and the version of the host OS (and what version of Docker they’ve elected to use).
Well not quite everywhere since docker is not static linked.   If you
volume mount in docker-current or docker-latest it will work.

docker run -v /usr/bin/docker-latest:/usr/bin/docker -v
/run/docker.sock:/run/docker.sock ...

Will work.
> The assumption of /usr/bin/docker being a self-contained(-ish) binary guaranteed to be compatible with the running daemon’s socket isn’t entirely uncommon: A quick google search for “-v /usr/bin/docker:” shows ~1670 results, all of which are going to be broken by the eccentric change of making /usr/bin/docker a stub (or a symlink).
>
> (Is there a more appropriate venue for this concern/appeal?)
Open a bugzilla on this.

On Mon, May 09, 2016 at 05:18:46PM -0700, Jason Brooks wrote:

> On Mon, May 9, 2016 at 7:54 AM, Lokesh Mandvekar <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > **CentOS Virt SIG**
> >
> > What:
> > - 'docker' (v1.9) http://cbs.centos.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=10878
> > - 'docker-latest' (v1.10) http://cbs.centos.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=10881
> > - both can be installed simultaneously and don't step on each other's toes,
> >   but only one can run at a time.
> > - /usr/bin/docker is a script which execs /usr/bin/docker-current (v1.9) or
> >   /usr/bin/docker-latest (v1.10) based on what $DOCKERBINARY is set to.
> >
> > Why:
> > - some people want v1.9 (that includes kube and openshift iiuc)
> > - others want later versions
> > - people also want to switch between versions without having to
> >   install/uninstall/reinstall
>
> I built an atomic image with docker and docker-latest, uncommented the
> line `DOCKERBINARY=/usr/bin/docker-latest` in `/etc/sysconfig/docker`,
> and restarted the docker service, and then `sudo docker info`
> returned:
>
> Error response from daemon: client is newer than server (client API
> version: 1.22, server API version: 1.21)
>
> Then it occurred to me to stop the docker service and start the
> docker-latest service, and that seemed to work fine. We definitely
> need docs around this.
Reminds me, I gotta update the CentOS wiki Virt SIG docker page...
Or would this be better off on projectatomic.io or readthedocs or elsehwere?

> One thing that occurs to me is that 1.10 isn't the latest docker...
>
> Jason
>

> > Comments?
> > --
> > Lokesh
> > Freenode: lsm5
> > GPG: 0xC7C3A0DD
Lokesh
Freenode: lsm5
GPG: 0xC7C3A0DD

Re: [CentOS-devel] [atomic-devel] docker and docker-latest packages on CentOS Virt SIG

Daniel J Walsh
Probably best on Centos, we could probably use a blog on projectatomic also.

On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 08:47:12AM -0400, Daniel J Walsh wrote:

> On 05/09/2016 08:18 PM, Jason Brooks wrote:
> > On Mon, May 9, 2016 at 7:54 AM, Lokesh Mandvekar <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > **CentOS Virt SIG**
> > >
> > > What:
> > > - 'docker' (v1.9) http://cbs.centos.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=10878
> > > - 'docker-latest' (v1.10) http://cbs.centos.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=10881
> > > - both can be installed simultaneously and don't step on each other's toes,
> > >    but only one can run at a time.
> > > - /usr/bin/docker is a script which execs /usr/bin/docker-current (v1.9) or
> > >    /usr/bin/docker-latest (v1.10) based on what $DOCKERBINARY is set to.
> > >
> > > Why:
> > > - some people want v1.9 (that includes kube and openshift iiuc)
> > > - others want later versions
> > > - people also want to switch between versions without having to
> > >    install/uninstall/reinstall
> > I built an atomic image with docker and docker-latest, uncommented the
> > line `DOCKERBINARY=/usr/bin/docker-latest` in `/etc/sysconfig/docker`,
> > and restarted the docker service, and then `sudo docker info`
> > returned:
> >
> > Error response from daemon: client is newer than server (client API
> > version: 1.22, server API version: 1.21)
> >
> > Then it occurred to me to stop the docker service and start the
> > docker-latest service, and that seemed to work fine. We definitely
> > need docs around this.
> >
> > One thing that occurs to me is that 1.10 isn't the latest docker...
> >
> > Jason
> It is the latest supported docker.  :^)  I am not sure if we will ever ship
> docker-1.11.  Has a lot of warts.
> Most of its fixes are going into docker-1.12.
>
> I agree docker and docker-latest is not the best solution, and sadly we are
> learning on the fly.
Resuming this thread so I get some direction to proceed with.

So, docker in Virt SIG used to be Fedora rpms recompiled. But, the
requirement for multi-docker installation on RHEL made us feel the need to
try it out on Virt SIG as well.

The RH patchset will be the same for both Fedora and RHEL, just that RHEL
could have approaches (like docker and docker-latest)
Fedora would never agree to.

I'd like to zero in on a single approach moving forward.

So, pick one. CentOS Virt SIG docker will have:

1. Fedora rpm rebuilt
OR
2. RHEL rpms (docker + docker-latest) rebuilt (consider it a preview or
something before official release)
OR
3. Something else, maybe both Fedora and RHEL versions clearly separated by
koji tags

--
Lokesh
Freenode: lsm5
GPG: 0xC7C3A0DD

Re: [CentOS-devel] [atomic-devel] docker and docker-latest packages on CentOS Virt SIG

Jason Brooks
On Thu, Jun 9, 2016 at 10:24 AM, Lokesh Mandvekar
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 08:47:12AM -0400, Daniel J Walsh wrote:

>> > I built an atomic image with docker and docker-latest, uncommented the
>> > line `DOCKERBINARY=/usr/bin/docker-latest` in `/etc/sysconfig/docker`,
>> > and restarted the docker service, and then `sudo docker info`
>> > returned:
>> >
>> > Error response from daemon: client is newer than server (client API
>> > version: 1.22, server API version: 1.21)
>> >
>> > Then it occurred to me to stop the docker service and start the
>> > docker-latest service, and that seemed to work fine. We definitely
>> > need docs around this.
>> >
>> > One thing that occurs to me is that 1.10 isn't the latest docker...
>> >
>> > Jason
>> It is the latest supported docker.  :^)  I am not sure if we will ever ship
>> docker-1.11.  Has a lot of warts.
>> Most of its fixes are going into docker-1.12.
>>
>> I agree docker and docker-latest is not the best solution, and sadly we are
>> learning on the fly.
>
> Resuming this thread so I get some direction to proceed with.
>
> So, docker in Virt SIG used to be Fedora rpms recompiled. But, the
> requirement for multi-docker installation on RHEL made us feel the need to
> try it out on Virt SIG as well.
>
> The RH patchset will be the same for both Fedora and RHEL, just that RHEL
> could have approaches (like docker and docker-latest)
> Fedora would never agree to.
>
> I'd like to zero in on a single approach moving forward.
>
> So, pick one. CentOS Virt SIG docker will have:
>
> 1. Fedora rpm rebuilt
> OR
> 2. RHEL rpms (docker + docker-latest) rebuilt (consider it a preview or
> something before official release)
> OR
> 3. Something else, maybe both Fedora and RHEL versions clearly separated by
> koji tags

If there's a way to get access to what will be in CentOS Extras before
it arrives there, that'd be helpful for testing.

If Fedora has a newer version of docker than what's in CentOS Extras,
then that'd be helpful as well. 1.11 is in rawhide now, it'd be cool
to have that available, for instance.

If the CBS doesn't offer something newer than what's in Extras, then
I'd just choose what's in Extras.

On Thu, Jun 09, 2016 at 10:28:38AM -0400, Jason Brooks wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 9, 2016 at 10:24 AM, Lokesh Mandvekar
> <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >> It is the latest supported docker.  :^)  I am not sure if we will ever ship
> >> docker-1.11.  Has a lot of warts.
> >> Most of its fixes are going into docker-1.12.
> >>
> >> I agree docker and docker-latest is not the best solution, and sadly we are
> >> learning on the fly.
> >
> > Resuming this thread so I get some direction to proceed with.
> >
> > So, docker in Virt SIG used to be Fedora rpms recompiled. But, the
> > requirement for multi-docker installation on RHEL made us feel the need to
> > try it out on Virt SIG as well.
> >
> > The RH patchset will be the same for both Fedora and RHEL, just that RHEL
> > could have approaches (like docker and docker-latest)
> > Fedora would never agree to.
> >
> > I'd like to zero in on a single approach moving forward.
> >
> > So, pick one. CentOS Virt SIG docker will have:
> >
> > 1. Fedora rpm rebuilt
> > OR
> > 2. RHEL rpms (docker + docker-latest) rebuilt (consider it a preview or
> > something before official release)
> > OR
> > 3. Something else, maybe both Fedora and RHEL versions clearly separated by
> > koji tags
>
> If there's a way to get access to what will be in CentOS Extras before
> it arrives there, that'd be helpful for testing.
>
> If Fedora has a newer version of docker than what's in CentOS Extras,
> then that'd be helpful as well. 1.11 is in rawhide now, it'd be cool
> to have that available, for instance.
>
> If the CBS doesn't offer something newer than what's in Extras, then
> I'd just choose what's in Extras.
I could potentially build both upcoming RHEL and Fedora rpms for Virt.

We could have koji tag separation like:

virt7-docker-rhel-*
virt7-docker-fedora-*

and maybe then deprecate the virt7-docker-common-* in favor of the two
above?? That could ensure clear separation between the 2 versions.

Enabling both rhel and fedora repos and then upgrading docker from the fedora
repo with a docker-latest pre-installed can and will give you nightmares, but as
a close friend always says, "We'll cross that bridge..."

wdyt?

--
Lokesh
Freenode: lsm5
GPG: 0xC7C3A0DD

Re: [CentOS-devel] [atomic-devel] docker and docker-latest packages on CentOS Virt SIG

Karanbir Singh
On 11/05/16 15:58, Daniel J Walsh wrote:
> Probably best on Centos, we could probably use a blog on projectatomic
> also.

+1 to that, we get a fair bit of traffic to that page as well on
wiki.centos.org

--
Karanbir Singh
+44-207-0999389 | http://www.karan.org/ | twitter.com/kbsingh

On 09/06/16 15:24, Lokesh Mandvekar wrote:

> So, pick one. CentOS Virt SIG docker will have:
>
> 1. Fedora rpm rebuilt
> OR
> 2. RHEL rpms (docker + docker-latest) rebuilt (consider it a preview or
> something before official release)
> OR
> 3. Something else, maybe both Fedora and RHEL versions clearly separated by
> koji tags

What would the user experience look like here ?

On 10/06/16 23:08, Karanbir Singh wrote:

> On 09/06/16 15:24, Lokesh Mandvekar wrote:
>>
>> So, pick one. CentOS Virt SIG docker will have:
>>
>> 1. Fedora rpm rebuilt
>> OR
>> 2. RHEL rpms (docker + docker-latest) rebuilt (consider it a preview or
>> something before official release)
>> OR
>> 3. Something else, maybe both Fedora and RHEL versions clearly separated by
>> koji tags
>>

> What would the user experience look like here ?

as in, how do we tell the user that these options exist, what the story
is, broadly, for each - and how they can consume them ?

On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 3:14 PM, Karanbir Singh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10/06/16 23:08, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>> On 09/06/16 15:24, Lokesh Mandvekar wrote:
>>>
>>> So, pick one. CentOS Virt SIG docker will have:
>>>
>>> 1. Fedora rpm rebuilt
>>> OR
>>> 2. RHEL rpms (docker + docker-latest) rebuilt (consider it a preview or
>>> something before official release)
>>> OR
>>> 3. Something else, maybe both Fedora and RHEL versions clearly separated by
>>> koji tags
>>>

>> What would the user experience look like here ?
>>

> as in, how do we tell the user that these options exist, what the story
> is, broadly, for each - and how they can consume them ?

For one thing, I'd want to include a newer docker in our
devel/continuous release
(https://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup/Atomic/Devel) of centos
atomic host, and it seems that having the coming-soon-to-extras docker
would be a good fit for that image.

Beyond that, and other testing-type uses, I don't know that we'd
necessarily want to advertise / promote these packages, but having
them available would still be useful.

On 10/06/16 23:37, Jason Brooks wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 3:14 PM, Karanbir Singh <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> What would the user experience look like here ?
>>>

>> as in, how do we tell the user that these options exist, what the story
>> is, broadly, for each - and how they can consume them ?
>
> For one thing, I'd want to include a newer docker in our
> devel/continuous release
> (https://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup/Atomic/Devel) of centos
> atomic host, and it seems that having the coming-soon-to-extras docker
> would be a good fit for that image.
>
> Beyond that, and other testing-type uses, I don't know that we'd
> necessarily want to advertise / promote these packages, but having
> them available would still be useful.

sounds good. I guess we start with keeping it to the builds we care
about from the provider side, and then expand exposure ( blog posts,
social media etc ) point people at these and ask for upstream projects
adoption as we mature.

regards,